Oh yes, there’s no denying that autumn is well and truly here and it’s time to put your boots on. Last week I put my ankle boots on for the first time in a while when the weather was tipping it down. Boots are a wardrobe essential and are particularly useful when the weather switches from sun to wind to rain as they are a lot hardier than shoes. This is no doubt why they are a seasonal favourite. They look chic with dresses, jeans and smart trousers so are suitable whatever your lifestyle or work place dress code. So whatever your size, shape or budget there’s a pair to suit you.
Here are my selection of some of the key styles on the high street:-
1. The Western Style – This style has a nod to a cowboy boot without going the whole John Wayne. They have a good chunky heel for people that like a bit of height but you can also walk comfortably in them.
2. The 70’s inspired boots – this is a stunning ankle boot that looks as fabulous with long dresses as it does with trousers tucked in – yes, we’re back there again! They come in black and this gorgeous red colour. They are selling out fast so if you’d like a pair you had better hurry.
3. Knee length boots – this style is making a massive comeback. They add instant glamour to the dresses and skirts that are around this season. Can I wear them with trousers, you ask? Well, technically ‘yes’ but as jeans and trousers in general have become wider in the leg it isn’t as easy. The shops have brought in short culottes to offer you a trousers choice but the jury out on this style for me – never say never though!
4. Lace up boots – don’t worry that you have to wake up half an hour earlier to lace these boots as most of them come with a zip so the laces are purely aesthetic . This is a great style for formal dress codes as it looks smart but also allows you to add a modern edge to any outfit. If these are too high for you there are plenty of styles around with lower heels.
5. The biker boot – they were massively popular last season and the trend shows no sign of slowing down. You don’t need me to tell you how versatile and useful these are. I love this style but find the very chunky shape does not suit me and makes me feel a bit dumpy as I don’t have the thinnest legs. If you have the same problem go for a slightly more refined version with a buckle.
If you would like a hand to choose the right ankle boot and rest of your wardrobe to go with it just give me a shout!
Love to dress with more style and confidence?
Get my top 10 tips and discover how to transform your style - and dress with confidence. Sign up now for your free copy.